Good news and Bad news
The good news is that Alex doesn't have an ear infection.
The bad news is that he's growing up too fast and wants to be a big boy.
I took Alex into the ped this morning to get his ears checked out. He had some kind of stomach bug/flu/rotavirus thing, but once that cleared up he still wasn't showing much interest in his bottles. He normally takes nearly 30 ounces of formula in a day, and he's been down to about 18 ounces/day since getting sick. So while his lack of symptoms suggested he probably didn't have an infection, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The ped said his ears were clear, and then mentioned that this would be a great opportunity to wean him from the bottles. Then I realized, "Hey, maybe he's just tired of sitting still and drinking out of bottles! Maybe he just wants to be a big boy..." Duh. We've been giving him sippy cups and he's doing really well with them. The ped also said that 16 ounces of formula is enough for him at this time, which I didn't know. I was worried he wasn't getting enough. She said that his sudden drop probably has a lot to do with his being sick, but in reality he doesn't need so much anyway.
So we came home and had lunch. Alex shared a chicken salad sandwich with me, and shared a banana with Emily. He also drank 4 ounces of formula out of his sippy cup. On one hand I'm bummed that he's doing all this big boy stuff, but I'm so proud of him at the same time.
Oh, and as we were leaving the doctor's office, Emily was near tears. We had been talking about going to the dentist to have our teeth checked and cleaned, and she wanted to have her teeth checked before we left. I tried explaining to her that we go to a different doctor for that, a doctor just for teeth... She didn't want to hear any of it.
What kind of kid cries to go to the dentist?! I've been meaning to call and get all of us appointments, so I guess Emily's giving me the kick in the pants that I need.
The bad news is that he's growing up too fast and wants to be a big boy.
I took Alex into the ped this morning to get his ears checked out. He had some kind of stomach bug/flu/rotavirus thing, but once that cleared up he still wasn't showing much interest in his bottles. He normally takes nearly 30 ounces of formula in a day, and he's been down to about 18 ounces/day since getting sick. So while his lack of symptoms suggested he probably didn't have an infection, I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The ped said his ears were clear, and then mentioned that this would be a great opportunity to wean him from the bottles. Then I realized, "Hey, maybe he's just tired of sitting still and drinking out of bottles! Maybe he just wants to be a big boy..." Duh. We've been giving him sippy cups and he's doing really well with them. The ped also said that 16 ounces of formula is enough for him at this time, which I didn't know. I was worried he wasn't getting enough. She said that his sudden drop probably has a lot to do with his being sick, but in reality he doesn't need so much anyway.
So we came home and had lunch. Alex shared a chicken salad sandwich with me, and shared a banana with Emily. He also drank 4 ounces of formula out of his sippy cup. On one hand I'm bummed that he's doing all this big boy stuff, but I'm so proud of him at the same time.
Oh, and as we were leaving the doctor's office, Emily was near tears. We had been talking about going to the dentist to have our teeth checked and cleaned, and she wanted to have her teeth checked before we left. I tried explaining to her that we go to a different doctor for that, a doctor just for teeth... She didn't want to hear any of it.
What kind of kid cries to go to the dentist?! I've been meaning to call and get all of us appointments, so I guess Emily's giving me the kick in the pants that I need.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home