A rough day for Emily
Emily is a sensitive little girl. She's not a whiny child, thank goodness. But she tends to be timid and very defensive. For whatever reason, she was unusually whiny this afternoon. Could have something to do with only getting an hour nap (at least 2 hours is the norm for her), I dunno. By the time we were getting ready to head over to a friend's house, I was ready to leave her home with Jim and go by myself. But seeing that part of the reason for going is for her to play with her friends, that would have been silly. I guess it just shows how much of a break I was needing.
The afternoon started out great - she peed on the potty for the first time ever! She and I were so excited. We danced all around the living room and cheered.
I was so proud of her, but then disappointed later when she insisted on putting her diaper put back on. I probably would have tried to convince her otherwise, but we were getting ready to leave the house anyway. I know she's just starting, but it's just taken so long for her to even want to sit on the potty without her diaper on. Oh well... She'll get there soon enough, I suppose.
So we headed over Viki and Emma's house after we had dinner. Emily has fun with Emma, but she tends to be a little gun shy around her sometimes. Emma can get a little rough and is known to hit and push occasionally (as many 2-year-olds do). Well, those are two things that Emily has little tolerance for. Oh, and I suppose the third thing she has little tolerance for is dogs licking her face. Viki and her family have a big German Shepard who licks everyone.
Just after Emily had calmed down from the 27th face-licking, she, Emma, and their other friend went to play in the playhouse. Well apparently Emily wanted to get out of the playhouse and Emma told her "no". Emma ended up blocking the door and holding it shut, telling Emily, "You can't see your mommy, you have to stay here." I don't think I've ever seen Emily so hysterical. Viki ran over and moved Emma out of the way, and Emily ran over to me, tears streaming down her face. Between deep breaths she said, "Mommy, Emma not let me out. I so scared. I wanna see Mommy. I wanna go home." I felt so bad for her.
She ended up calming down, so we stayed a bit longer, but it seemed like everything set her off.
It was the same once we got home. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day for her.
The afternoon started out great - she peed on the potty for the first time ever! She and I were so excited. We danced all around the living room and cheered.
I was so proud of her, but then disappointed later when she insisted on putting her diaper put back on. I probably would have tried to convince her otherwise, but we were getting ready to leave the house anyway. I know she's just starting, but it's just taken so long for her to even want to sit on the potty without her diaper on. Oh well... She'll get there soon enough, I suppose.
So we headed over Viki and Emma's house after we had dinner. Emily has fun with Emma, but she tends to be a little gun shy around her sometimes. Emma can get a little rough and is known to hit and push occasionally (as many 2-year-olds do). Well, those are two things that Emily has little tolerance for. Oh, and I suppose the third thing she has little tolerance for is dogs licking her face. Viki and her family have a big German Shepard who licks everyone.
Just after Emily had calmed down from the 27th face-licking, she, Emma, and their other friend went to play in the playhouse. Well apparently Emily wanted to get out of the playhouse and Emma told her "no". Emma ended up blocking the door and holding it shut, telling Emily, "You can't see your mommy, you have to stay here." I don't think I've ever seen Emily so hysterical. Viki ran over and moved Emma out of the way, and Emily ran over to me, tears streaming down her face. Between deep breaths she said, "Mommy, Emma not let me out. I so scared. I wanna see Mommy. I wanna go home." I felt so bad for her.
She ended up calming down, so we stayed a bit longer, but it seemed like everything set her off.
It was the same once we got home. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day for her.

3 Comments:
Poor girl! I hope tommorow is a better day.
Oh Heather. That is so sad. Poor little Emily. Kenzie would have freaked out in teh same situation (she is also terrified of dogs) Emily is a lucky girl to have such a loving mom as you. I hope tomorrow is a better day for all of you!
Poor pumpkin!!! Anna would have reacted the same way. I'm hope she's back to her cheerful self by now!
Post a Comment
<< Home