Guilt
Jim and I are getting together with a group of friends from college tonight. We're really close with these friends, and we don't get to see them nearly enough. They all live about an hour away.
I had mentioned to my mom that we were probably getting together with them on Friday. I didn't know if we were doing something kid-friendly or not. Our friends love to see the kids, but, well, we're the only ones with children right now. So we usually do something that's not too conducive to little ones under 3. And that's alright with us. I mean, it's nice to get out for a kid-free evening occasionally. It's something we don't do too often.
So my mom had mentioned (I didn't even ask) that she didn't have any plans for Friday if we wanted her to watch the kids.
I called her yesterday to ask if she could watch them, and she said, "Well, I was going to go to Anthony's (my nephew) football game Friday night, but I'm not sure. I don't even know where the game is."
I told her to let me know for sure as soon as possible, since I'd have to see one of Jim's sisters could babysit.
Jim's sisters are fine with the kids. They have 3 other nieces and nephews, they both work in daycare... They obviously know what they're doing.
It's just that I prefer my mom. My mom knows Emily's and Alex's little quirks better, and, well, I don't know. I'm not one that likes to leave my kids, and I feel better when they're with my mom when we go out.
So I found myself getting a little peeved. I didn't understand why she'd tell me earlier in the week that she'd watch them, and then all of a sudden she was going to Anthony's football game.
And then I felt bad. I felt bad for getting pissy when it's not my mom's job to be my beck-and-call babysitter. I start to feel like I'm taking advantage of her.
She does so much for us and the kids. I can call her at the drop of the hat and she'll be over in 5 minutes, whether I need to go to the doctor or just want to go to the grocery store by myself.
I know that she doesn't look at it as being taken advantage of. She loves being with the kids and jumps at the chance to get them to herself. I think she'd actually be hurt if we asked Jim's sisters to watch them before asking her.
She called this morning to tell me she'd watch the kids for us. And I sit here feeling kinda bad. I think sometime soon I'll have to do something really nice for her. Maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant or the movies. I know she doesn't expect it, and she'd probably yell at me for doing it. But she needs to know how much we appreciate what she does for us and the kids.
I had mentioned to my mom that we were probably getting together with them on Friday. I didn't know if we were doing something kid-friendly or not. Our friends love to see the kids, but, well, we're the only ones with children right now. So we usually do something that's not too conducive to little ones under 3. And that's alright with us. I mean, it's nice to get out for a kid-free evening occasionally. It's something we don't do too often.
So my mom had mentioned (I didn't even ask) that she didn't have any plans for Friday if we wanted her to watch the kids.
I called her yesterday to ask if she could watch them, and she said, "Well, I was going to go to Anthony's (my nephew) football game Friday night, but I'm not sure. I don't even know where the game is."
I told her to let me know for sure as soon as possible, since I'd have to see one of Jim's sisters could babysit.
Jim's sisters are fine with the kids. They have 3 other nieces and nephews, they both work in daycare... They obviously know what they're doing.
It's just that I prefer my mom. My mom knows Emily's and Alex's little quirks better, and, well, I don't know. I'm not one that likes to leave my kids, and I feel better when they're with my mom when we go out.
So I found myself getting a little peeved. I didn't understand why she'd tell me earlier in the week that she'd watch them, and then all of a sudden she was going to Anthony's football game.
And then I felt bad. I felt bad for getting pissy when it's not my mom's job to be my beck-and-call babysitter. I start to feel like I'm taking advantage of her.
She does so much for us and the kids. I can call her at the drop of the hat and she'll be over in 5 minutes, whether I need to go to the doctor or just want to go to the grocery store by myself.
I know that she doesn't look at it as being taken advantage of. She loves being with the kids and jumps at the chance to get them to herself. I think she'd actually be hurt if we asked Jim's sisters to watch them before asking her.
She called this morning to tell me she'd watch the kids for us. And I sit here feeling kinda bad. I think sometime soon I'll have to do something really nice for her. Maybe a gift certificate to a restaurant or the movies. I know she doesn't expect it, and she'd probably yell at me for doing it. But she needs to know how much we appreciate what she does for us and the kids.

3 Comments:
Awe heather... I am sure she does love to be with the kids... she wouldn;t have offered otherwise. But a treat would be nice too I am sure,,,
I am jealous of having a Mom so close. Em and Alex are fortunate.
I am jealous too. I bet your mom LOVES spending so much time with teh kids. I know my mom wishes she could. I bet she'd be thrilled to receive a little "thank you" gift.
Post a Comment
<< Home