Sharing. Or lack thereof.
Emily is generally pretty good about sharing things. But now her baby brother is starting to move around a bit. In her opinion, he's getting a little too close to her stuff.
And I know this is just the beginning... Oy.
Em and Alex were actually quite comical tonight. Emily is crazy about that baby brother of hers. I mean, he's like the best thing since sliced bread. So I was surprised when Em got all huffy when Alex got too close to her sippy cup. She jumped up and yanked it away, and told him, "No, that's not yours!"
So we've been working on explaining to her that Alex is just a baby and that he doesn't understand. We really sugar-coated it, telling her that he just wants to see what his big sister has and that he's just checking stuff out. We also explained that she can't keep yanking toys from him. She's developed a habit of taking anything he has away, just because she can, and because Alex doesn't put up a fuss (yet!). So we told her that if she wants to share toys with Alex, she has to go get a different toy for him before she takes his away.
This evening Emily was playing with this Sesame Street toy that lays flat on the ground. It has all these easy-to-turn knobs that make different noises when you touch them. It's prefect for Alex right now, but it's "new" to Emily, so of course she wants to play with it.
Both kids were laying on the floor facing each other, playing with this toy together. It was so cute to watch. Alex started getting the hang of hitting the buttons, and Emily cheered, "Good job, buddy! I so proud of you doing it yourself!"
Aww, they melt my heart. It was so awesome to watch them both playing there on the floor. I've been looking forward to the time when they'd really start having fun together, and I know this is just the beginning.
And I know this is just the beginning... Oy.
Em and Alex were actually quite comical tonight. Emily is crazy about that baby brother of hers. I mean, he's like the best thing since sliced bread. So I was surprised when Em got all huffy when Alex got too close to her sippy cup. She jumped up and yanked it away, and told him, "No, that's not yours!"
So we've been working on explaining to her that Alex is just a baby and that he doesn't understand. We really sugar-coated it, telling her that he just wants to see what his big sister has and that he's just checking stuff out. We also explained that she can't keep yanking toys from him. She's developed a habit of taking anything he has away, just because she can, and because Alex doesn't put up a fuss (yet!). So we told her that if she wants to share toys with Alex, she has to go get a different toy for him before she takes his away.
This evening Emily was playing with this Sesame Street toy that lays flat on the ground. It has all these easy-to-turn knobs that make different noises when you touch them. It's prefect for Alex right now, but it's "new" to Emily, so of course she wants to play with it.
Both kids were laying on the floor facing each other, playing with this toy together. It was so cute to watch. Alex started getting the hang of hitting the buttons, and Emily cheered, "Good job, buddy! I so proud of you doing it yourself!"
Aww, they melt my heart. It was so awesome to watch them both playing there on the floor. I've been looking forward to the time when they'd really start having fun together, and I know this is just the beginning.

3 Comments:
Awww I love watching my 2 play together as well. Emily and Ben are the same way. Taking toys from their little brothers and just because like you said, it's new to them!
that is sweet that she is cheering him on... and um, I am sure it is just the beginning on the sharing thing (wink!)
Heart melting, indeed. Just wait until they can both tattle. ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home