Tuesday, December 27, 2005

My Sweet Girl

Emily and I just had a really nice evening together. We spent some time with Jim's family before Jim's soccer game tonight, and then I headed back home with both kids. Both Emily and Alex needed baths, but Alex conked out on the way home. So I laid Alex down in his bed and decided I'd get Emily bathed and into bed. Then I'd wake Alex, put him in his pjs, and give him a bottle. His bath will have to wait til tomorrow.

So I don't know what it was about tonight's routine with her, but she and I had so much fun. She was so talkative and sweet, and it just makes me wanna squeeze her. ;) We chatted for a bit after reading her bedtime story, and had the following conversation:

Me: Did you have a fun day today?
Em: Yeah, I played with my cousins.
Me: Did you play nice? (She had been getting lippy and bossy with 5-year-old Matthew...)
Em: No... I didn't use nice words.
Me: How come?
Em: I just wanted Matthew to share his toys and he wouldn't let me play with his truck and I yelled at him.
Me: So what do you think you should have done instead of yelling at him?
Em: I wait for my turn. Oh! And I could play with Meaghan's horsey instead! I can pick a new toy.

I was so proud of her for coming up with that on her own. She was so thoughtful about it. I told her that was a great idea and that she was a sweet girl. I guess I must have been looking thoughtful myself, because then she asked me, "Are you sad, Mommy?"

Me: No, I'm not sad. I'm happy.
Em: Why are you happy?
Me: Because I'm your Mommy. And being your Mommy makes me so happy. It's the best job in the world.
Em: I can be your sweetheart. And you can be Kayla. Just pretend, 'k, Mommy?
Me: Ok. As long as I can still be your Mommy.
Em: Yes, Mommy. You're my Mommy. You keep me safe. That's your job, right, Mommy?

She has such a big heart. And sometimes she seems so much wiser than a 3-year-old can possibly be. Both my kids just turn me to mush.


We had a really nice Christmas. This year has been the best one by far. Emily was so excited about everything, and I loved seeing everything through her eyes. She mentioned something yesterday about Christmas, and I told her that Christmas was over. She said, "Oh. I thought it was Christmas again!"

So now we move onto Em's birthday, which is quickly approaching. She's changed her mind yet again, and now she wants a Dora birthday party. I haven't bought any of the party stuff yet, so it's no big deal (do I procrastinate, or what?). I can't believe she's turning 3 already!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

She's so sweet Heather. I don't know how you don't have more cavities.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home