Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Shoes, Elmo venting, and Potties

Yesterday we finally found some fall shoes for Emily. I drove all the way to the outlet mall just to find shoes for my wide-footed child. Are shoemakers not aware that many children have wide feet? She definitely doesn't have her father's feet. His toes, yes, but not his narrow feet. Luckily Stride Rite had what we needed - and had it in stock. Em has jumped up to a 6 1/2 wide. Her summer sandals were a 5 1/2 wide. Anyway, we found some cute brown mary jane-style shoes for a mere $25. Much better than the $40 I would have had to shell out at Dillards. Emily is very proud of them. She walked around the store with them on her feet, shouting "My shoes!" (See previous blog entry about Emily and everything that is hers).

I'm about to kill the potty Elmo. It's cute. It really is. But Emily likes to press the hand over and over again. You hear "El-El-El-El-El-El-El-Elmo..." over and over again. Finally I looked and Emily and said "Enough." She seemed to agree and walked away. Ugh.

Speaking of potties, my mom picked up the Royal Potty for Em the other day. It's actually the last one I would have picked up just because it's another thing that is battery-operated. I think I'd literally piss myself if music started playing as soon as I sat on the toilet. Heck, maybe that's why they designed it that way. Plus I can see Emily putting her hands inside of it as soon as she realizes that it makes music (there's a sensor inside). It received some pretty bad parent reviews on Amazon. We'll see how it works out, without batteries for now. Em's not ready, anyway. My mom, bless her heart, keeps saying how smart Emily is (she's definitely a bragging Grandma) so she will probably train early. I keep telling her, "She's not going to potty train early if she's not showing signs of readiness!" It doesn't matter how smart a kid is (and of course everyone thinks their child is the smartest, as they should), if they're not ready, they're not ready...
Regardless of all this, Em loves her new potty. She sits on it and sings "Potty potty potty..." So she's at least getting comfortable with it.

Emily and I had a cute conversation of sorts last night. We were sitting on the couch snuggling, getting ready for bed. Here's how some of it went:

Did you have fun today?
Yea. Car.
Yes, we went in the car. Where did we go?
Shoes. My shoes.
Yes, we bought you new shoes. Do you like your new shoes?
Yep, my shoes. ...Truck
Did you see a truck today?
Big truck! (Em's impressed with big trucks these days.)
What else did we do today?
Elmo potty. Milk.
Elmo sits on the potty when you give him milk?
Yea. Milk. Elmo milk?

And she went off to find Elmo's sippy cup (it comes with the potty Elmo). It was just so funny that she was content to sit there just telling me about her day. There was a lot more in there that I couldn't understand, but that was the gist of it. It was cute. She was looking at me so seriously like she had really important stuff to share. She's growing up too fast.


1 Comments:

Blogger dscokween said...

We have the royal potty. Emma thinks it's a reallly cool chair that makes noise when she sits in it. It is also cool since there is a built in storage compartment. Still not ready here, but getting closer.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home