Monday, September 13, 2004

What's Really Important at 4am...

Elmo. Emily has not let go of that thing since we got it for her. She woke up around 4am this morning and Jim heard her over the monitor. So he went to get her and she was clutching her Elmo. No binky. No blanket. No pillow. Just Elmo. Jim goes to bring her in our room (as we usually do when she wakes up) and she insists she needs her water, blanket, and pillow. No mention of the binky. Jim grabbed it anyway (along with her entire list of needs/wants), knowing it'd be the first thing she'd ask for once he got comfortable. But I was thinking we should have tried to leave it behind to see what she'd do. Maybe next time.

As of today she now has 2 Elmos. My mom got her the Potty Elmo a couple of weeks ago (maybe not even that long ago) and I told her she wouldn't last. It was supposed to be for Christmas. Well she caved today and Emily loves that thing too. She saw it and yelled "WOW!"

She is very possessive of her Elmos. Well, she's possessive of most of her things. She has gotten into the habit of yelling "MINE!" anytime anyone so much as looks at something she has/wants. I wish I knew of a way to curb it a bit. She says it with so much attitude. I know it's to be expected at this age, but I still don't like it. For now I've just been telling her that no one's going to take [beloved item] and that that doesn't sound nice. I try to emphasize the use of nice words, but I'm not so sure she gets it yet. Sometimes I'm not sure of how much to expect from her because she really does seem to comprehend a lot. But I guess sometimes I expect too much. Anyone? Anyone?? The mine thing didn't bother me as much as when we were in the store the other day and another little girl just looked at her and Em yelled "MINE!" The other mother kind of chuckled, but who knows what she was thinking. I know, who cares? I know what a big heart my girl has. Just don't mess with her stuff! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home