It's working!!!
For the past few days, Emily has not been wanting her binky during the day. WOOHOO! I haven't been withholding it from her, which makes me feel better because I know how attached she is to it. (Plus, I don't have to listen to the screaming...) When she'd ask for it, I'd give her the one she chewed through. It has a small hole in it, but it's big enough for her to not even like using it. The first day she'd ask for the "other one" and I'd gently tell her, "I don't have another one, sorry babe" and I'd distract her with another activity. At times she'd just chew on it for a bit, and other times she'd put it down and forget about it. She seriously does not like using it, but it doesn't seem she really misses the other one either.
It's gotten to the point where she's not even asking for much during the day. She hasn't even used it in the car. She asked for it when we went to the store the other day, but then she spit it out and she talked the whole way there instead.
I'm not sure what it is this time. There are probably a few factors. One, the chewed binky is not cool at all. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to, so why bother with it. Two, maybe she was just more ready than she has been in the past. Lastly, I think she's been too busy to mess with it. She's talking more and more and she does know that I can't understand her with that thing in her mouth. She had even gotten to the point where she'd take it out on her own to tell me something because I was always telling her "I can't understand you with the binky in your mouth."
So I'm really glad it's going so well. I thought it was going to be pure hell. And I'm not worried about the bedtime one AT ALL. She can use that for quite awhile longer before I even think about taking that away. I'm just glad to not see her walking around with it during the day so much.
While I'm here, I have a couple of Emily funnies.
She now all of a sudden says "Umm..." It's hilarious. I heard her in the bathtub the other night when Jim was asking her the colors of her bath toys. She said, "Uuuummm... Orange!" So now when she's thinking about something she'll look very thoughtful and say "Umm..." And speaking of colors, I've noticed why she says everything is green. I was asking her the colors of her crayons and I realized that she yells "Green!" before she even looks - it's just an automatic answer. I tell her, "No, try again" and then she'll give me the right answer the second time. She's pretty good with blue, green, and orange.
Last night Emily was giving us a performance. She'd sit down with her Little Tykes piano and play, singing a song. After she was done she'd stand up and start bowing, saying "Thank you, thank you!" I laughed so hard. I looked at Jim and said, "Where the hell did she learn that?!" He had no idea. Then I realized where she may have picked it up. On Oobi there are two "performance" episodes - one where Oobi's in a play, and the other where Oobi is in a piano recital. I'll have to look more closely next time it's on to see if they bow at the end.
It's gotten to the point where she's not even asking for much during the day. She hasn't even used it in the car. She asked for it when we went to the store the other day, but then she spit it out and she talked the whole way there instead.
I'm not sure what it is this time. There are probably a few factors. One, the chewed binky is not cool at all. It just doesn't do what it's supposed to, so why bother with it. Two, maybe she was just more ready than she has been in the past. Lastly, I think she's been too busy to mess with it. She's talking more and more and she does know that I can't understand her with that thing in her mouth. She had even gotten to the point where she'd take it out on her own to tell me something because I was always telling her "I can't understand you with the binky in your mouth."
So I'm really glad it's going so well. I thought it was going to be pure hell. And I'm not worried about the bedtime one AT ALL. She can use that for quite awhile longer before I even think about taking that away. I'm just glad to not see her walking around with it during the day so much.
While I'm here, I have a couple of Emily funnies.
She now all of a sudden says "Umm..." It's hilarious. I heard her in the bathtub the other night when Jim was asking her the colors of her bath toys. She said, "Uuuummm... Orange!" So now when she's thinking about something she'll look very thoughtful and say "Umm..." And speaking of colors, I've noticed why she says everything is green. I was asking her the colors of her crayons and I realized that she yells "Green!" before she even looks - it's just an automatic answer. I tell her, "No, try again" and then she'll give me the right answer the second time. She's pretty good with blue, green, and orange.
Last night Emily was giving us a performance. She'd sit down with her Little Tykes piano and play, singing a song. After she was done she'd stand up and start bowing, saying "Thank you, thank you!" I laughed so hard. I looked at Jim and said, "Where the hell did she learn that?!" He had no idea. Then I realized where she may have picked it up. On Oobi there are two "performance" episodes - one where Oobi's in a play, and the other where Oobi is in a piano recital. I'll have to look more closely next time it's on to see if they bow at the end.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home