Thursday, July 07, 2005

"I eat birthday cake!"

I went out this morning to shop for Jim's birthday present. I had Emily and Alex with me, so I had the talk with Em about not telling Daddy what we got for him. I stressed that it's a big surprise and that he'll be really excited when he opens it. Well all she cared about was the fact that we're having birthday cake and she gets to help Daddy blow out the candles. That's all she talked about on the way home. She was really bummed that we don't get to have cake tonight. She's so funny.

Speaking of talking on the way home, it's so nice to be rid of the binky on car rides. Granted, she still asks for it, but she doesn't throw a fit about it. I hadn't realized how quiet our rides had been with her having that thing in her mouth the whole time. So I guess it's good and bad. Once she starts talking she just doesn't stop!

In Alex news, the little guy is constantly sticking his hands in his mouth. He's finally got the hang of unclenching those little fists. I've caught him sleeping with his thumb in his mouth once, but it hasn't happened again since. Today he was getting all pissed off with the pacifier - he kept spitting it out to put his hands in his mouth. He finally fell asleep on his own without anything.
It's funny how different he can be from one day to the next. Somedays he just wants nothing but to be snuggled. He loves to be rocked in the glider. As soon as I sit down he is out like a light. Then other days he prefers to lie down in his bassinet and go to sleep on his own.
I think we're going to have to get dark curtains or a darkening shade for his room. I'm wondering if that's why he doesn't sleep as well in his crib - his room is so bright. The bassinet is in our bedroom, and it's a lot darker in there during the day.

We'll be in Maine in 2 weeks. We're so ready for a vacation. I'm thinking this weekend we'll have to go out looking at umbrella strollers. We have a cheap one, but it doesn't recline, so it wouldn't work for Alex. I'm wishing I had one of those Snap n'Go strollers that we could set Alex's carseat in, but I'm not about to buy one now when it would only last us another 3-5 months. I don't want to take the huge stroller from our travel system. The van is roomy, but that stroller would just take up a rediculous amount of space.
We also want to shop around for a portable DVD player. That will be very nice to have on a 14 hour trip!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home